- A Bishop is the chief priest and pastor of a diocese.
- A Bishop proclaims Christ’s resurrection and interprets the Gospel.
- A Bishop works for reconciliation in the world.
- A Bishop ordains others to continue Christ’s ministry.
- A Bishop shares in the leadership of the Church throughout the world.
- A Bishop encourages and supports all baptized people in their gifts and ministries, nourishing them from the riches of God’s grace, prays for them without ceasing, and celebrates with them the sacraments of our redemption.
- A Bishop guards the faith, unity, and discipline of the Church.
- A Bishop celebrates and provides for the administration of the sacraments. (BCP, p. 855-6)
Bishop Search Timeline
The search for the 11th Bishop of the Diocese of Easton is broken into several parts. The first, determining our needs as a Diocese, was completed by the Discernment Committee over the past 18 months. The next phase is to develop a profile of our Diocese, receive names for consideration and discern a slate of candidates. This is done primarily by the Search and Nominating committee that was formed in September. The Transition Committee will oversee the final phase of introducing the candidates to the Diocese, the election in June 2016, and the ordination and consecration of the new Bishop in October 2016.
Important Upcoming Dates:
January 30, 2016
Deadline for receipt of applications from nominees
April 14, 2016
Final candidate slate presented to the Standing Committee
April 21, 2016
Standing Committee announces the final candidates
Nomination by petition period begins
Introduction of the candidates to the Diocese
June, 11, 2016
Election Convention for the Eleventh Bishop of Easton
October 15, 2016
Ordination and Consecration of the Eleventh Bishop of Easton